Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Baby number 2

It really wasn't that much longer and we realized we were expecting our second bundle of joy. This pregnancy seemed to go a little better as far as being sick all the time, but God is not without a sense of humor. When I was about 6 to 7 mos. along I noticed some tingling  in my face, mainly on the left side. Within a few hours my left side of my face was paralyzed. I could only do a half smile, I couldn't blink my left eye, and everything sort of drooped on the left. Weird huh!
Dave took me to the Dr. and I was told that I had a "Bells Palsy". It was caused from retaining water from my pregnancy and it was putting pressure on a nerve in my brain that controlled the left side of my face. Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats what he said. I told him to please fix it!!!! he said that because I was pregnant, he couldn't give me any medication. He was confident that it would resolve itself as soon as the baby was born.  I was mortified to have to go through almost 3 mos. of not being able to smile at my son Ryan, or the thought of someone watching me eat and food falling out of my mouth (more than usual).
The day came when our new baby entered the world, this one was only 10 days late, and I was so happy to have another son. Welcome baby Adam. Eventually the Bells Palsy went away, although, I still have food fall out of my mouth once in a while but that is usually because I am talking with my mouth full.
While Dave and I were busy at the hospital having Ryans little brother, Ryan was at my sister Phyllis's house.  I was told by her that her was a very good boy while there. On our way home from the hospital, we stopped to pick Ryan up and he got his first look at his brother.  From there, we stopped at Ryan's favorite restaurant, McDonalds, and picked up lunch  and headed home.
Ryan was just over two yrs. old at the time and I had tried really hard to get him potty trained before the new baby came. He was doing great with it too. So, when we got home, he was sitting at the table eating his hamburger, and he announced that he had to go potty. Hurray Ryan!! He got up from his seat, walked into the bathroom, and promptly flushed his hamburger down the toilet, he then walked over to me and wet his pants. I was shocked. I immediately called my sister and said "What have you done to my son??" "He was only with you for a night and you ruined him!!".  Phyllis told me, once she stopped laughing about what he had done, that it was normal for the first born child to react to his parents bringing home another child. That he was probably wondering when this new kid was going to be taken back to his own home because we certainly didn't expect him to share us with him did we? She said "think of it this way, imagine that you and your husband love each other and things are going really great. Then one day your husband says "honey I love you so much that I thought it would be great to have another wife too, here she is." How would you feel about the whole deal? Hmmmm, that actually made sense.  My sister is very wise. Don't tell her I said that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment